ABOUT BROWSER CACHING
When designing websites and sharing development links with clients, we often run into styling issues where things don’t quite look how they should. Occasionally this is server caching, but most often when we see one thing and the client sees another, it’s due to their web browser caching an old version of the stylesheet (or other files) and loading that instead of the current version.
Browsers do this all the time to speed up your web experience, and it’s usually not a problem. But when we update a file today, and you’re looking at a website with a file from a few days ago, it often leads to problems. Thankfully there are a few quick ways around browser caching problems.
Force refreshing clears the browser’s cache for a specific page and forces it to load the most recent version.
Chrome – Windows
- Hold down Ctrl and click the Reload button.
- Or hold down Ctrl and press F5.
- Or open the Chrome Dev Tools by pressing F12. Once the Chrome Dev Tools are open, right click on the refresh button and a menu will drop down. This menu gives you the option of doing a hard refresh, and also clearing the cache and do a hard refresh automatically.
Chrome – Mac
- Hold ⇧ (Shift) and click the Reload button.
- Or hold down ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift key and then press R.
Mozilla Firefox – Windows
- Hold the Ctrl key and press the F5 key.
- Or hold down Ctrl and ⇧ Shift and then press R.
Mozilla Firefox – Mac
- Hold down the ⇧ Shift and click the Reload button.
- Or hold down ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift and then press R.
CLEAR YOUR CACHE / BROWSING HISTORY
Clearing your local browser cache will almost always solve any lingering display issues, but take note that this will effect all of your website browsing, not just development sites. Saved information will be cleared such as shopping carts and login details.
Firefox and Chrome
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete (Windows) or Cmd + Shift + Delete (Mac) to open the appropriate window.
- Press Opt+Cmd+E.
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down to the option for Safari
- Scroll down and select Clear Cookies and Data
- A pop-up will come up verifying that you want to clear the Cookies and Data. Select Clear.
- The button for Clear Cookies and Data should turn gray.